INSTRUCTIONS FOR GAMBIA NATIONAL IDENTITY CARD APPLICATION
The Gambia National Identity card is intended for issuance to Gambians for the purposes of personal security and identification as a Gambian Citizen. The Director General of Immigration and all immigration officers deployed by him for that purpose is the sole authority entrusted by the Government of the Gambia through the Minister of Interior for issuance of identity cards to qualified Gambians.
The Gambian National identity card is for Gambian citizens of 18 years and above.
- REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
The applicant must produce at least one of the following;
- Birth certificate
- Gambian Passport
- Voter’s card
- Seyfo’s / Alkalo’s attestation
- If applicant obtained Gambian citizenship by Registration or Naturalization, one of the following must be produce: Registration/ Naturalization certificate
3.The application for National Identity Card must be countersigned by the following for authentication before submission;
- Member of Parliament
- Justice of Peace
- Imam or Minister of Religion
- Regional Governors
- Seyfo's / Alkalo's
- Area Councilors
- Civil servants of Grade 10 and above
The Validity of the National Identity Card (ID) is Five years from the date of issue, after which it will be replaced.
A card is replaced if:
- It has exceeded its validity of five years
- The photograph is defaced
- The card is lost or stolen or damaged.
Application for Replacement is made in the same form and the same procedure as in a fresh application. If lost/stolen, applicant must produce an affidavit in support of the lost/stolen and a police report
- REFUSAL AND APPEAL
Since Possession of a national identity card is mandatory, any person whose application is refused, is allowed under section 11C (1) of the Immigration Act to appeal to the High Court of the Gambia.
It is an offence under section 31(h) of the immigration Act Cap 16.02 to:
- Obtain or attempt to obtain a national identity card by false declaration.
- Make false statements in association with this document.
The fee for National Identity card is D200.00 (two hundred dalasis)